Tuesday, November 21, 2017

TWD - Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Dulce de Leche Filling



It's Thanksgiving on Thursday in the US, so the time is right for the Dorie's Cookies bakers to make pumpkin whoopie pies with dulce de leche filling.  These are light, spongy cakes, studded with cranberries, and in the recipe, filled with marshmallow crème and dulce de leche.

I made some changes to the recipe.  First, fresh cranberries are pretty nigh impossible to get here, so I used dried cranberries.  Also, marshmallow crème is not something that is easy to get here, so I substituted cream cheese frosting for the filling. (My frosting is oozing out because I had to fill the whoopee pies while they were still warm.)

As these whoopee pies are baked in muffin tins, they do not have the lovely domed shape of normal whoopee pies. However, don't hold that against them.  These whoopee pies are light and fluffy and scrumptious.  I am glad that I only made half a batch, as it would be easy to eat more than one!

To see what the other Dorie bakers made, visit the LYL section of the Tuesdays with Dorie website.

6 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

They do look good! I'm feeling all the pumpkin recipes at the moment! :D

Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) said...

Yours are SO cute! Mine turned out all wrong!

Johanna GGG said...

goodness us thanksgiving has been flying under my radar but these look perfect for it - interestingly I think you can make a marshmallow creme quite easily with aquafaba but I am not familiar enough with the original to know for sure.

Diane Zwang said...

These were delicious and cream cheese frosting sounds good too. I have never used a pan to make whoopie pies. Try them free form next time it will work just fine.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i also used dried cranberries and made a sub for the marshmallow creme...these were tasty whatever way!

2paw said...

Ah, the difficulty in not living Over There when you are baking Over There’s recipes. Glad they are tasty! I cannot help but think of Eddie Cantor singing Makin’ Whoopee, and not pies!